When Can I Enroll in Medicare?
When Can I Enroll in Medicare Health Insurance?
Are you Newly Eligible for Medicare?
If Yes – You are eligible to enroll during the Initial Enrollment Period if:
- You already turned 65 or recently turned 65
- You have been on disability for 2 years or more, or
- You are losing employer coverage
If No – You may be eligible for other enrollment periods.
You can join a Medicare Advantage plan during the Annual Enrollment Period. It runs between October 15 and December 7 each year.
Or, you can apply for a Medicare Supplement anytime during the year.
If you are older than 65 and do not have Medicare because you previously had health insurance provided by your employer, you may qualify to enroll during a Special Enrollment Period.
If you are older than 65 but did not have health insurance previously, you must wait until the Annual Enrollment Period to join Medicare. There will also be a late signup fee.
Do You Already Have a Medicare Supplement or Medicare Advantage Plan?
If you are already signed up for Medicare but want to change your plan:
- You can switch between Medicare Advantage plans during the Annual Enrollment Period or during the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period.
- You can drop Medicare Advantage and return to Original Medicare with a supplement during Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment.
- You can switch from Original Medicare and a Medicare supplement to Medicare Advantage during the Annual Enrollment Period.
Not sure which plan is best for you? Ask a licensed AARDY Medicare specialist to help you find one.
When can I make changes to my Part D Prescription Drug plan?
- If you did not first enroll when eligible but need to join a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug plan, you can do that during the Annual Enrollment Period.
- If you want to change to a different Prescription Drug plan, you can also change plans during the Annual Enrollment Period.
- If you move back to Original Medicare from Medicare Advantage and need to join a Drug plan, you can set this up during the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period.
How To Enroll in Medicare
Typically, enrolling in Medicare is relatively simple. When you approach your 65th birthday, Medicare automatically signs you up and sends ID cards.
Or, you can apply for Medicare directly by visiting Medicare's website, calling them, or visiting your local Social Security office.
- Website: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/
- Call: 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-877-486-2048)
- Find your local Social Security office
AARDY Can Help You Understand Medicare
AARDY is the nation's fastest Medicare insurance marketplace. You can compare Medicare supplements and Medicare Advantage plans to find the one that best fits your needs.